Friday, May 8, 2009

The End is Near, The Constitution and Daryl Hall and John Oates


Some people like the Constitution. Well, right now I HATE it. I think that is just the angst from yet another final being over. Con Law in this case if you haven't guessed. This was a hard test. It was the first absolutely closed book exam I have had in Law school, and that stinks. It was also two-thirds multiple choice. I know some of you are thinking out there, "Matt, shouldn't multiple choice questions be better? I mean they are giving you the answer to every question right on the page!" That may be so, but that does not make them easier. There are different levels of multiple choice questions. One of the questions we had the options went like this,
a. the Dormant Commerce clause applies
b. The Privileges and Immunities clause applies
c. Both clauses apply.
d. DCC applies, but not P&I
e. P&I applies, but not DCC
I hope that illustrates a little bit of how hard these questions can be. Plus they each have their own fact pattern. I am talking one question to a page. 22 questions to answer in two hours, and that might not be enough time, these are hard questions. In an essay question you can argue both sides, that's what law is, you argue both sides. Multiple choice stinks like a baby's diaper. Actual quotes heard after my test
"Maybe he has never written a closed-book exam before?" "Maybe he just hates his students."

On a brighter note, I have instituted my feel-better-quick remedy. This means that I put Hall and Oates' "You Make my Dreams (Come true)" on repeat on my ipod and then I drink a soda. Works every time, but maybe I am just easy to please. At least I am three quarters of the way done with my tests, and only one more final (Income Tax Law) stands between me and the completion of my first year of law school. Let the final push begin!

1 comment:

Tyler Pulsipher said...

oh, poor baby! Unlike the Seminole, you chose this western trail of tears yourself. Happy lawyering.