Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First Day Jitters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it's been a little while since I've had a first day at a new school, but I think I still remember how its done. I picked out my clothes a week in advance and they are laid out on the floor of my room just like I'll have them on (except not so flat). I've doubled checked everything for tags and stickers, I don't want to go through the embarrassment of finding a 32x30 sticker on the back of my leg, right after recess when I just know all the other kids were staring and laughing at me behind my back. I think that is all I can do to make sure I'm ready in the morning.
I'm sure I'll wake up an hour before my alarm I'll be so excited. There are a few things that I will not be able to duplicate as I am starting school in a new state though. I won't have mom there to take pictures on my first day. There was no fashion show (but maybe soon, I'm wearing Aunt Jill down). I don't have a flat, empty backpack for the first day, it already has things I've been using. Last and not least, Dad won't be doling out pens, mechanical pencils, and notepaper just like it is back-to-school Christmas. Laugh if you want, these are cherished memories.
One thing I do have in spades, however, are the first day jitters. Will the other kids like me? Will I do well? Will I ever make back the money to repay these monster student loans? Funny, that one never came up in elementary school. I just wish old first-grade Matt could have had the same tools I do. A huge ego with extra confidence. Total commitment to my jokes. And last but not least, gosh darn it people like me, once they get to know me anyway.
Seriously though, while there is some anxiety on my part, I am excited to study something that genuinely interests me, and the competition is exciting as well. No matter what happens it will be a learning experience, hopefully one that pays off these loans.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

word for word this is exactly what happens. especially the pen and pencil distribution-don't even think about taking them early or off with your head!

Nicole said...

I forgot about pen and pencil distribution!! But I will never forget the fashion shows. We are having one over in Leaperville for Omi's very first year in public school - PreK here she comes...in a school uniform, no less.

Hope your first day at school is all that and more, hopefully with graham-cracker and frosting sandwiches in your lunch box.