Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Hacksaw's Inferno, Descent into liberalism

Regardless of the title, I do not want to imply that there is something wrong with liberalism, I think that we can all just get along. That being said, I guess I would describe myself as an optimist or an idealist maybe, but definitely not a realist. Seriously though, the idea is for this blog to chart my journey from the conservative heartland of Provo, Utah into the jaws of the liberal stronghold of San Francisco. That's how I see it from here in Provo anyway.
This trip will definitely be an awakening for me no matter what happens. I will be leaving what I've known for years and heading alone into the maelstrom. As daunting as it sounds, it will also be exciting, I'm sure. There is an innate desire in almost everyone to explore the unknown, and I feel it more and more as my departure draws nearer. San Francisco for me now represents the American Dream. It is the opportunity to put myself on the line and pit my skills and knowledge against the world. The tools I will need will largely come from my own abilities. There is something awesome in the idea that man can control his own destiny. Maybe I've been given more help on my way than some, but that doesn't take away from the fact that my own abilities helped give me this opportunity, and they are what now will stand between me and success or failure. Win, lose, or draw, knowledge will be reaped and experience gained. Maybe a wife, too. Don't worry General, I'll try to find one that at leasts dresses conservatively.

1 comment:

D9 said...

Saw.. all I ask is that in the glorious land of San Fransisco you find a wife and not a husband.


-Dan