Friday, January 16, 2009

Here's a resolution

So Tracy and I talk about law school sometimes, mostly since no one else wants to talk about it. I guess I can understand people not wanting to talk to you about your exclusive club that they are not a member of, but whatever. The point for this post is twofold. First, Tracy told me that she tries to go to all the speakers they have at her school and I think that it is a great idea. There are always great people coming and sharing and a lot of time they have free lunch, so we need to take advantage of this unique time in our life to enjoy these opportunities.
The second part of this post was that I went to a talk by one of the Judges from the 9th circuit court of appeals which is I think the largest circuit court in the federal system, not to mention fairly liberal. The meeting was on Religion and the Establishment clause. I was surprised to hear that this justice supports mixing religion and politics as long as one church is not supported more than another. I just thought that this was interesting to hear in a time where many people think that there should be more separation. I think the key idea is equality, as long as churches are treated equally it is fine. For anyone who knows someone very religious (and I consider myself to be such a person) they know that those people cannot separate religion from any part of their life, in some way it permeates everything.

2 comments:

Justus said...

I totally agree with the new years resolution to attend everything that involves free food. In fact, I already do that, so this one will be really easy. I guess I could start staying to listen to the speaker...

Ashley said...

People laugh at me when I advertise free food for activities... like deep down that's not what they're going for. Maybe that's just me though.

And thanks for your comment on my blog, I suppose now I have a deadline to get married. 2.5 years... dang.