Friday, February 6, 2009

The Dominant Fury

Now, some of you may or may not know that Puls and I at one time started a bowling league team, which we affectionately called the Dominant Fury. This is a blog about that team, more or less. I saw this picture and knew that I could not keep it to myself, the world had to know. While I had to move away, the Dominant Fury is still in full swing. Puls is still a member (at the time this picture was taken he was in Washington for most of the semester), and the other members are Lance, Renee and Renee's roommate Blair. Throughout our history we were usually more Fury than Dominant, but not on the night this picture was taken, and that is the story that I will tell you now.

During this semester (winter '08) we had a topsy turvy schedule and had to miss a few games, I was graduating, and life was stressful. Because of those misses as well as our general lack of competitive play we missed the tournament. Just for the record there was an upper and lower bracket, we missed the lower bracket, one of only two teams barred. As luck would have it a team forfeited, and we were the last team in, the lowest seed in our bracket. We beat the first team we played without too much of a struggle (they actually said something like "how are you guys the lowest seed with those handicaps", which was awesome). They would have felt even worse later on, because we were just hitting our stride. The next game I think was a little tougher, the other team was good, we may have lost one of the three games, but we were better. We moved into the final game, the lower bracket championship. The first two games we won pretty handily, but that was just the beginning. With Lance bowling an even 200 and Tyler a 180, with Renee and myself hitting our shots we decimated the other team, beating them by 206 pins. It was a blowout, the other team actually commented on how soundly we had whipped them (to borrow a phrase from The Great Brain). This photo was taken that night, we took a lot of photos, we were pretty giddy. We went from funny to money in just three weeks. That my friends, is the story of the Dominant Fury. I think our cheer that night summed up our season "UP YOUR AVERAGE!!!!!"

4 comments:

Brooke said...

as much as i hate to comment on your dumb dominant fury, i have to-to answer your questions. the layout was just in the template area of blogspot and i just played around with it until i liked it. the picture at the top i imported myself. also the dress is not i repeat not the dress me and mom made.

Kim, Byron H & M said...

Pretty impressive Matt. Although I do remember bowling with you and Lance and I do believe I beat both of you. At least that is how I remember it. We are excited to see you this weekend.

Byron

Conni said...

Nice to hear a positive Harrison bowling outcome...Karl and I bowled on a league about 3 years ago and he played most of the season with a TON of fury. I thought a couple times that he was going to break out the lane rage and start a pin fight.
Needless to say I lost my bowling partner after that fateful year. I went on to bowl a cool 242 one game...I got all sorts of awards from going to crap to bowltastic in one week. Ahhh, fond memories.

Justus said...

That's what I'm talking about- BONECRUSHER style!