Monday, February 16, 2009

Road trippin and music.



Well, I just got back from a little long-weekend getaway at the Williamses in L.A. It was a stellar time, I actually feel really great and am almost excited for school tomorrow, so it was just what the doctor ordered. Kim and Byron were surprised that I did not want to do much, but I really just wanted to spend some time with them and little Harrison, and I did and it was fantastic. They even let me talk them into doing a little babysitting, so I could play with Harrison without those two hogging him, just kidding, but seriously. So it was a great trip.

I also wanted to say a little bit about the road trip. It was actually really fun to chill in the car and just listen to music for a few hours. I knew the trip down would be fun, because I was excited to visit, but the trip back was good as well. I forgot how much I like the roadtrip part of vacationing. I remember back in the day, everyone had their walkmans in, mom was passing back treats and dad was like an iron driver, just going for hours on end, Lance and I have even talked about dad's ability to drive those long trips, maybe it has something to do with his military training, I guess we will never know. Anywho, somewhere along the line, even with the occasional puking and threatened spankings, those family road trips have instilled in me a love for the open road. It also doesn't hurt that the Regency is a real open-road car, such smooth sailing! Needless to say, I love just driving and enjoying my music.

I think that is one of the reasons that Puls and I got along and enjoyed our roadtrips together so much, we had a similar love for music, for the most part. Now, segue-waying into music. I really like it, I feel like my family really likes it, and that there is some music that speaks to me.

I now have a bone to pick, however. With the current rash of "25 things" fad on facebook, I am sick sick sick of people talking about what music means to them. Don't get me wrong, music can be very powerful, and it affects a lot of people, but that is my point. I think that people who love music, that feel like they have a special connection to music are the rule, not the exception. So let's just celebrate that we ALL love music, OK? I don't really know why that bothers me. I think it has something to do with the idea that I have been thinking about, that we are all much more similar than we realize. My real idea is that just about anyone can be friends with anyone else if they will both just give it a chance. We all have a lot in common. There you go, you thought I was hating, but I really just want everyone to be friends. Maybe that is just because it seems like everyone on the subway wants to be my friend? Oh the stories I could tell. I guess I am just very approachable . . .

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mattie! You ARE very approachable. This is our blessing and our curse, (hello? I DON'T WORK AT TARGET. Stop asking me things.) About the music. I agree. Totally. That may be why my band might be TOURING IN SAN DIEGO in a couple of months... Just thought I'd drop that lil nugget. Love you much...

Brooke said...

welcome to my life of people feeling that they can (and need) to say whatever they want to me. -do you do things to yourself to make yourself skinny?-ringin a bell?

lj said...

I totally hear you on the road trips. One of the things Brian and I love to do together is to drive on long trips. I know I inherited the iron driver gene from Dad, and I am SO happy our kids turned out to be roadtrippers too! (16 hour trip to Utah anyone?)

Kendy, if your band tours in San Diego please let me know. Brian and I are talking about a summer road trip down the coast.