Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A year can go so quick

What a difference a year makes. I just finished the Doctrine and Covenants and was going to start the Book of Mormon in Spanish, and I realized that I finished it in Spanish last December. I can hardly remember last Christmas, so much has happened in just eleven months.
I started and finished my last semester of college, wrote my capstone paper, graduated, worked a lot of hours at Magleby's, went to LA to see Kim and Bryon (Kim was barely preggers), flew to D.C. to see Karl Conni and family, spent some time in Portland with Nick and Lis and their families, went to a family reunion on the Oregon Coast, packed up my things and headed out to San Fran all on my lonesome, started law school, lived with the Blodgies for two months, moved into a new place, and here I am finishing my last week of classes for my first semester. Boy howdy, that's just the quick recap. A year can really go fast.
To go along with these sentiments I'll share part of a poem I've been working on. If you don't like it read it sometime when you're feeling melancholy late at night, that's when I like it best.

How frail is memory,
how fleeting it's remarks,
What today is crystal clear
is tomorrow's broken parts.

Joy is only half remembered,
Sorrow's half forgotten,
victory happened twice as much,
and losses half as often.

Some forget and laughing say,
to live each day anew.
While others hold to petty hurts
whose bitter tastes they chew.

So choose this day whether mem'ry will
be for you a help or hindrance,
a light to guide your waking hours,
or a self-inflicted penance.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

did you really write that, I'm blown away! I seriously think it is very, very good.

Tracy

SkyBluePink said...

It's OK that you can't come to Tucanos with us because you are coming to visit me when you are in Utah before I leave, right? Right??
RIGHT?!

No, seriously, if I don't see you before I move back to the eastern part of the US of A, I will cry. A lot.

Krystal said...

Geez Hacksaw. All this time i thought you were going to law school- but clearly you're going to The Bill Shakespeare-Emily Dickenson-Robert Frost Acadamy. Seriously though- I liked the poem. If you keep up this kind of work you'll be writing pieces for Horse Impressions in no time!